When Diahan and I were dating (oh, nine years ago), her parents had a timeshare in Sin City, NV. Somehow we made a trip out of the opportunity (I fully realize I am trying to tell a story here about our past - And I fully anticipate the correct version by Diahan in the comments).
Two things stand out about that trip: the first is that we saw Fantasia 2000 in glorious IMAX at the Luxor. The second memory to stand out was the walk back. I remember loudly singing "It Had to be You" to Diahan - and to the other people walking the street. "Loudly singing" - as volume always makes up for quality.
Nine years later I'm lying in our Luv Sac with a boy on either side of me, watching Fantasia 2000. As much as this was part of the boys' formal music education, it was also a little bit of perfection.
Who would have thought an evening of animated classical music and an impromptu Sin City Serenade would lead to nine years of elation?
Knowing I'm entering sentimental waters here, I'd best close by posting a couple clips from that wonderful evening's entertainment. Fantasia 2000 is not currently in print (locked in the Disney Vault), but nothing escapes YouTube. I bought my copy a couple weeks ago online. Once I received it I realized why it was so cheap: another wonderful Chinese knock-off. Oh, well. The movie was the same, even if the Chinese have no idea how to spell on the DVD case.
*****
The first clip is Respighi's Pines of Rome. You have to hand it to the animators who could match a symphonic poem about trees to flying whales.
This next clip is Jack's favorite: Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance. This one takes less of an imaginative leap to see the graduation march set to Noah's Ark. But it has Donald Duck.
Lastly, is the finale: Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. The music is what makes this amazing, though the story itself is a pleasant attempt at actually incorporating a firebird (the mystical creature, not the Pontiac).
Perhaps to complete the day, I ought to offer Diahan another ear-splitting rendition of "It Had to be You."
4 comments:
Disappointed I didn't see Tchiakovsky on the composer list; I'm sorry but I enjoy his work much than I do the others.
jt
I'm with Jack. I love the Noah's Ark part. Especially the cute little love story with Donald and his sweetheart.
Is anyone else shocked at the thought of Jared singing on the street in Vegas? I must have the wrong blog... I would love to hear Diahan's version of the event :)
I amaze even myself.
Post a Comment