Jack and Henry love Eleanor. They love to talk to her, they love to hold her, they love to kiss her.
Jack also plans on teaching her all sorts of things: to read, to talk to play, etcetera. When Aunt Denise asked him if he was going to teach her to walk he said, "Ya, 'cause Henry doesn't walk very well, he is always tripping and falling. Sometimes if I run really really really fast I fall, but not very often."
An unexpected demonstration of Jack's affection for Eleanor manifested itself the other day in the car. Now I understand that children have to do something to amuse themselves in the car, but Jack and Henry have some annoying car games, one of which is to point out all the school buses that pass (Nona was caught in that game for awhile 'till she learned her lesson).
Another is to ask me what EVERY sign says that we pass. Of course I have no idea what they are looking at, and even if I wanted to read them they go by too fast, so the other day Jack started with the "What does that say, Mom?" and I just said, "That says 'Daddy loves Jack," or "Grandma loves Jack," or "Aunt Neese loves Jack," on and on until I was afraid I was going to run out of people, until I hit on "Eleanor loves Jack." Then all of a sudden the mood in the back seat changed from silly and rambunctious to sweet and gooey as Jack began cooing over Eleanor, touching her little feet and face and saying "Oh what a cute little girl, yes you are, **mumble mumble** oh I love you too!" It was sooooo precious.
Here is how a typical conversation goes between Jack and Eleanor (of course, I am speaking for Nora, since, well, she can't talk yet).
Jack: Baby El-a-nor! Baby El-a-nor. Oh you are so cute! *mumble mumble kiss kiss* as he tries to smother her head with his hands without touching her (if that makes any sense).
Eleanor: I really like this kid. Don't know what he is saying, but I like him.
Then it is Henry's turn to hold her.
Henry: Baby El-a-nor! Baby El-a-nor (because he loves to imitate Jack). Then he actually does smother her, or squeeze her to death, if he is holding her.
Eleanor: Why, exactly, did you let him hold me?
2 comments:
I love these boys! And I know I love Eleanor too, we just need to get to know each other better. But if she's anything like her older brothers, she's one of my favorite kids ever!
Looks like she has them wrapped around her finger already! Guess we know who is going to rule the roost at the Southard house!
Non & Papa
Post a Comment