Cloverfield came in the mail a couple days ago (it's Christmas every other day in our mailbox with Netflixtm). Diahan didn't know anything about Cloverfield, so I showed her the trailer. I forgot all about the shakey cam thing - and that she is 9 months pregnant. Remembering this - with a little assistance- I still lobbied to watch the shakey-cam-monster-wreaking destruction-J.J. Abrams-scarefest. Fantastically, I was overruled.
Instead, we watched Lars and the Real Girl. She thought it was to be a by the book comedy; I knew it was going to be a different kind of comedy, so I didn't share the trailer beforehand. It probably wouldn't have mattered. WE LOVED IT. Yes, it is PG-13, but a very clean PG-13 largely due to the doll which remains fully clothed - mostly - well never in a bad . . . nevermind.
It's hilarious, thoughtful and a real feel-good movie. It nails small town USA to a tee. Diahan cried - I had something in my eye. Highly recommended. If independent movies are not your bag, you will still like this one.
Disclaimer for some of my friends: there is a lot of talking in the movie. You might be better off with Cloverfield.
2 comments:
Do you think your bisop/farmer/agricultural lobbyist/neighbor would like it? I happen to know his wife would.
Boy, that's a loaded question - should I recommend it to my bishop. It's akin to asking "would you watch that with (name favorite general authority here)?" So I will say neither yes or no. But Sterling would like it - I think. However, I bet he'd much rather be outside doing something else. First watch Adam's Rib - that's guaranteed good times for both of you.
Post a Comment