I have long been on a quest to bake the perfect cookie. I had my first perfect cookie in Junior high, at my dear friend Sarah's house. They were just chocolate chip. Nothing fancy. In their family, no cooling racks are used, just let them rest for a minute on the cookie sheet, then transfer to foil on the counter.
I thought perhaps this was the secret: cooling on foil.
So, I tried that. My cookies still lacked form and plumpness.
I thought it was the ingredients- should I use Crisco, or butter, more brown sugar, more vanilla? My cookie making attempts resembled a 6th grade science fair project. But even after all my attempts, my cookies lacked texture, or sweetness, or general deliciousness.
I told myself it was the altitude in Utah.
But my neighbor could make perfect cookies.
I told myself it was my pan. But others with the same pans have made perfect cookies.
Eventually I was consoled by the fact that my oven was just not up to snuff. That if I only had a better oven I could make the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
One of my hopes about moving to a new home is that right there inside I would find the perfect cookie baking oven. A oven that produced sweet, chewy, perfectly shaped cookies.
It even had a light, so I could watch the little darlings bake. Looks good, right?
This picture was taken at the peak of my hope- 6 minutes in and they were PERFECT.
Then, all of a sudden BAM!
They all exhaled, puddling their ooey gooey goodness all over the pan.
Failure, again.
They still tasted great- and with new cinnamon chocolate chips that Jared discovered (yum!).
But they lacked form and presentation.
Sigh.
My hopes were shattered.
However, I did use some very old baking powder... Could that be the culprit?
Maybe I should try again.
And thus, my hope is born all over again. The quest continues for the perfect homemade cookie.
All suggestions toward this end are welcome and encouraged.


4 comments:
I was having the same problem. I added more flour than the recipe called for, so it is not so sticky and battery, more like an actual dough. And voila. Perfect cookies. Just taste the dough as you are adding the flour to make sure you don't get too much.
And then I got gestational diabetes and can't have anymore of that right now. Sigh. Life is funny sometimes. Just when I figured out the secret to perfect cookies, I can't eat them anymore. :(
Good luck!!
I hope you find a good recipe you like! At least the ones you are baking still taste good - and cookie dough is always delicious :) !!
Here's a recipe that we really enjoy if you care to give it a whirl: Chocolate Chipe Cookie Recipe
Oh Annjeanette! So sorry to hear about the drop in cookie consumption! No fun. And Laura, I will certainly try your cookie recipe (maybe with a little extra flour)! Here's hoping!
I have a good recipe that always turns out great. Hailey even made it when her friend was over one day and her friend's mom said they were the best cookies she's ever tasted.
Post a Comment