Unless, of course, you are being called names in the process.
OK - maybe not names, per se. And maybe we have already called ourselves the same thing. But to hear it coming from another - on her blog - is . . . flattering. No such thing as bad PR, right?
Yes, we take pride in our ice cream ELITISM.
Our goal is to elevate the ice cream eating masses by taking the fear out of that first premium ice cream purchase, to assuage the guilt brought on by spending considerably more per ounce than you would normally think prudent, to boldly proclaim (yes, I split an infinitive) that some ice cream is better than others.
We seek to lift people up from the shackles of the traditions of their childhood eating habits, creating a new spirit of gastromic adventurism. Once liberated, a confidence to experiment and try different foods may take root. And you with thank us forever.
Or maybe we are completely off base here, as Ashley believes we are.
If I infer her post correctly, our goals are too lofty and too exclusive. We don't fully appreciate the cost associated with this journey, and our attempts at altruism are being construed as condescension. We have forgotten, quoth she, the regular folk and the regular ice cream. By denigrating their dessert, we have denigrated them.
Ashley has started her own crusade: to counter all of our malicious claims of "better" and "progress." She has taken the role of comforter to the ice cream afflicted.
Yes, she is reviewing all of the Western Family (generic) ice cream flavors.
To show that we are Fair and Balanced here at SouthardExposure, we will be spotlighting her reviews. We report, you decide.
We will include a few paragraphs and a link to her blog for the full reviews (which site is, fortunately, not nearly as pink as it once was).
(. . .)
Several months ago, (the Southards) embarked on a journey to try every single flavor of Haagan-Dazs ice cream. Ambitious goal and I applaude the effort. However, on a recent trip to Kohlers to try out the latest recommendation, I was forced to reevaluate my decision. I had $5 cash in my pocket. I could either buy one small pint of Haagan-Dazs Brazilian Acai Berry Sorbet (Southard Editorial Note: only rated 3 out of 5) or two half gallons of Western Family.
Having recently enrolled in microeconomics, I weighed the marginal costs and marginal benefits. Western Family won.
As I drove home, I was thinking about Jared's blog. Although highly entertaining and informative, it is not really applicable to the median person/family. Most families would choose two half gallons of ice cream over one pint of similar product. So for the rest of us, I have taken it upon myself to review all the Western Family ice cream flavors.
(. . .)
Click here for Ashley's full review of Western Family Mud Pie and Mint Chocolate Chip.
3 comments:
I think this just demonstrates that while there is one great truth, many will search, and find, might I add, a cheap imitation.
Wasn't it C.S. Lewis who said that many of us settle for a mud pie when a day at the beach is before us?
Well said. I think C.S. Lewis' quotes are applicable to just about anything. While you are up there in Washington, you ought to see if there are any different HD flavors we don't have down here. You should do the review with your parents as well.
We miss you something terrible. Have fun. See you tomorrow.
I would like to speak for the true middle ground people. I would not buy Haagan Dazs or Western Family. One is too pricey for quantity and one is too cheap that it tastes terrible. I personally buy Blue Bunny, Dreyers and Breyers. I have even found Targets house brand to taste good, but I do not like Costco's Kirkland. I usually buy 2 - 4 containers at a time and these brands serve me well. I like to have many choices. The taste is good and the price is not above my tipping point. Haagan Dazs and Ben and Jerry's etc. exceed that point. And to point out we did not grow up on any of these brands. We did grow up on the generic equivilant of Western Family. I'm sorry to say you were not raised an elitest. You are just a really good wannabe. But we love you terribly anyway.
Post a Comment